Book Review | Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Wednesday, April 23, 2014



Hello! Today I'm back with my very first book review -  a post I've been planning on for quite a while. I love to read (my latest addiction is actually listening to audio books) and I just wanted to post about it on here to find new reads and talk to fellow readers too! Today I'm reviewing Delirium by Lauren Oliver {you can read more about in on goodreads here}. It is a young-adult dystopian novel.

The action is based in the future, like all dystopian books are. The world is completely different - love is considered a disease - amor deliria nervosa - and is treated when you turn 18. Until then, it is forbidden to talk to opposite sex except your family members. The main character, Lena, is a girl like every other. She has a best friend, Hanna, and both of them are very excited about turning 18 and finally getting the cure - without it, no one feels safe. Love is dangerous for many reasons, the symptoms make you weak, your decisions not reliable and your senses stronger. Also, it leads to heart diseases. The society is so strict about it, that people are convinced that they are better off without love. Both girls trust the society until everything changes when Lena meets Alex and start to feel what love is all about.

The book sucked me in immediately. I've now read the whole trilogy and I can safely say it was one of the best series I've ever read. I just couldn't put it down! I love young adult dystopian books, they are my favorite genre and even though they might not be for everyone, it was definitely the one for me. The biggest reason why I loved this book so much was that it just seem so real, the symptoms, the cure, the disease, everything feels like love might actually be dangerous! I think that's why in the book everyone believed it - because without actually experiencing real love you can't be sure if it's good or not. "The deadliest of all deadly things: it kills you both when you have it and when you don't."  Another reason was the action. The book was full of it - one thing leading to another, it's a real page turner and I finished it in one day, switching positions on my bed for quite a few hours. The ending left me wanting for more. I'm also really keen on love stories in books so this was definitely the book for me - in all aspects it fulfilled my need for something new, exciting and loveable. That's why I love dystopian novels - they all portray different worlds and I just love to let my imagination free!

If you are looking for the next YA book to read - give this one a go! And if you already read it - feel free to talk to me about it! I love discussing books :)


What's your favorite genre of literature? Do you like to read?

9 comments:

  1. Wow the book sounds amazing! It's a really fresh idea that i've never heard of before, i love stories too so i've gotta read this!

    If you have a spare minute pretty please could you vote for me as 'Best Personal Style Blog Newcomer' at Company Magazine's Style awards 2014? It only takes a few seconds and I would really appreciate it! To vote please follow this link: http://www.company.co.uk/magazine-hq/company-style-blogger-awards-2014

    Love Emma xx

    www.collagemepretty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh sounds good, I was looking for a new book to read. I might just order it off amazon. Great review xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this series until the very end. I felt robbed of the last quarter of the book, like there was still chapters to be read but they just weren't there. :( Really ruined it for me, I absolutely loved the concept and the books sucked me in too, but the end failed badly for me :(

    www.juyey.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt so too. The ending was just meeeh.I was hoping for something to tie things up but it just left me hanging.. I didn't get in depth about the other 2 books because I still don't know if I should do one review or separate so yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You definitely should! Sure, no problem :) good luck! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You definitely should, it is amazing! Let me know if you do :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, that's true, didn't really think about it this way! Alex was portrayed perfectly. good to know I'm not the only one who loved it! haha x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like watching dystopian movie, but never tried reading such novels. For books, I prefer chick lit, something that's so easy to read :D
    Thanks for the review!

    xx
    http://felishmichelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. actually, dystopian is pretty easy to read too, becaus it's just so interesting! what are some of your fave chicklits? :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments means a lot! Thanks for talking to me. I answer every single one ♥

If you have any questions, feel free to email me or tweet me @chantellieve.

Talk to you soon, Eve XO

Design by | SweetElectric